The 75th UAAP men’s seniors division basketball tournament started today with hosts National University Bulldogs (NU) winning the first ever UAAP game at their “home court”, the Mall of Asia (MOA) Arena. The Bulldogs overwhelmed the University of the East (UE), 90-55, in the inaugural game of the season.
After a hot start by UE’s Roi Sumang who scored 10 points in the opening quarter capped by a buzzer beating triple to give the Warriors a 15-13 lead after the first period, it was all NU. The Bulldog opened the 2nd quarter with a dizzying 23-4 run to turn the slim deficit into a wide lead at 36-19. They continued the onslaught as the lead ballooned to 25 by the halftime break, 48-23. They took a big half-time lead without big man Emmanuel Mbe who missed the entire first half due to a jersey mix-up.
It was no different in the 3rd period as NU continued to force turnovers and score on fast breaks. They outscored the hapless Warriors 24-17 in the third to push the lead to 32. In the 4th, the Bulldogs played like the score was tied as they still dominated the final period and eventually won with a 35 point margin.
Jeoffrey Javillonar had a big double-double for the hosts with 19 points and 11 boards. Season 74 MVP Bobby Ray Parks Jr. finished the game with fantasy numbers of 16 points, 6 dishes, 4 thefts and 3 blocks. Joshua Angelo Alolino and Spencer Rosario reached double figures with 12 and 10 points respectively. Sumang led the losing cause of the Red Warriors with 21 points.
Quarter scoring: 13-15, 48-23, 72-40, 90-55
- Red Warriors out to prove they’re no pushovers in UAAP Season 75 (sports.inquirer.net)
- UAAP coaches see Ateneo and NU as teams to beat (sports.inquirer.net)
- Cebuano Kris Porter graces the cover of Chalk Magazine July 2012 issue (cebuislandlive.com)
- NU trounces La Salle to rule Filoil crown (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Changing the GAME: The SM Mall of Asia Arena (kalongkong.wordpress.com)