Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia – The Energen Pilipinas Under 18 Youth team won its second straight assignment after beating Kazakhstan, 83-69 in the 22nd FIBA-Asia U18 Championships. The win assured the Philippine squad a spot in the next round. The Philippine youth squad will battle Iran tomorrow for Group D supremacy.
The game between the Philippines and Kazakhstan was even in the fist period as both teams ended up with 18 points a piece. Kazakhstan started the second period with a 8-1 run to take the lead at 26-19. The Philippines responded with 19-4 run to take a 38-30 lead at half-time. Kazakhstan once again had a hot start in the 3rd period to grab the lead at 49-46 but they once again allowed the SEABA Champions to take back the lead at the end of the quarter. The Philippines made an early 11-4 run in the first 5 minutes of the final period to up their lead to ten at 66-56. The Filipinos then coasted to victory behind the steady free throw shooting of captain J-Jay Alejandro who displayed his knack of getting to the line.
Just like the first game, 11 of the 12 boys fielded by Coach Olsen Racela made a basket. La Salle Greenhill’s Mario Bonleon topped the scoring for the Philippines with 20 buoyed by 3 booming triples. Alejandro had 18 points with 11 scored from the free throw line. Kyle Suarez and Janhubert Angelo Cani combined for 24 points. Kazakhstan were led by the 22 point efforts of Alexey Kurochka and Alymzhan Maxutov. The Philippines controlled the boards, 47-35.
Philippines (83) – Bonleon 20, Alejandro 18, Suarez 14, Cani 10, Pingoy 4, Porter 4, Rivero 4, Babilonia 3, Lao 2, Nambatac 2, Olayon 2, Javelosa 0.
Kazakhstan (69) – Kurochka 22, Maxutov 22, Marchuk 14, Zhumabek 5, Nalogov 3, Kadtsin 2, Nurkhanov 1, Korotkiy 0, Kryachko 0, Toktarov 0, Tulepbergenov 0.
Quarterscores: 18-18, 38-30, 55-52, 83-69.
- 22nd Fiba Asia U18 Championship: Cebuanos Pingoy, Porter reinforce Energen U-18 team (cebuislandlive.com)
- 22nd FIBA-Asia Under-18 Championships: Pingoy scores 11 in National Team Debut (cebuislandlive.com)
- Energen Pilipinas notches second win in Fiba Asia U-18 (sports.inquirer.net)
- PH U-18 squad opens up FIBA-Asia with easy win (sports.inquirer.net)
- Cebu Live’s 8 Questions with Jerie Marlon Pingoy (cebuislandlive.com)
- Lebanon outlast India 65-61 in U-18 Asian championship (dailystar.com.lb)