it was almost a year since my favorite NFL Franchise won a regular season game. The big networks were branding them as the best 0-4 team in the league after losing heartbreakers in the past 4 weeks. Playing without their No.1 QB Matthew Stafford and their standout LB DeAndre Levy, they lost 3 of their first four games with a margin less than 1TD. Who can forget that bum call on Calvin Johnson against the Chicago Bears in Week 1.
Week 5 pitted the Detroit Lions against the St. Louis Rams led by this year’s No.1 pick Sam Bradford. The Rams came to town with big confidence coming from a 2 game win streak. Peter King of CNNSI even branded this game as the toughest one to call this week. After a 3-3 first quarter, the Lions suddenly roared to a big lead. They were led by their new returner Stefan Logan who scored on a 105 kickoff return in front of his proud parents. The special team unit showed how truly special they are after acquiring a playmaking returner. Suddenly it was 24-6 by halftime with long drives led by Shaun Hill led to TD passes to CJ and TE Brandon Pettigrew.
The second half was an all-Lions show. Nate Burleson made his first TD catch as a Lion and drew a penalty by celebrating by punting the football into stands. Then the defense showed it’s teeth. Ndamokung Suh, the No.2 pick in the 2010 draft intercepted the pass of Bradford and returned it for 20 yards. It’s been years since the fans saw a rookie DT makes a play reminding them of the huffing and puffing Shaun Rogers a few years ago. Then to cap the scoring, Alphonso Smith (a Bronco reject) had a pick (in his 3rd straight game) and returned it to a TD.
It is a good day at Detroit and with the help of some kindhearted fans, the game was televised in local TV. Some call this win a validation, some call it an aberration but no matter how you call it, the game was amazing. It’s been years since all units scored and hopefully the momentum can carry the Lions against the formidable Giants next week.
- Detroit Lions hope blowout victory a sign of better days ahead (reuters.com)
- Lions maul Rams for first win of season (reuters.com)
- St. Louis Rams vs. Detroit Lions: Lions All Over Rams (bleacherreport.com)
- Stefan Logan ties Detroit Lions record with 105-yard kick return (sports.espn.go.com)
- LIONS 44, RAMS 6 / Detroit ends streak with blowout win (sfgate.com)
- Lions finally win one, thanks to hapless Rams (cbssports.com)
- Detroit Lions’ Domination of Rams Validates Roster Moves, Team Improvement (bleacherreport.com)
- Detroit Lions Monday Morning Quarterback: Week 5 Vs. St. Louis Rams (bleacherreport.com)
- Detroit Lions-St. Louis Rams: Detroit’s First Win and 2010 Season by the Numbers (bleacherreport.com)