For the second straight year, the Detroit Lions beat the Washington Redskins. The game was marked with several lead changes and in the end, the Lions was on top 37-25 thanks to a fumble recovery touchdown by rookie DT Ndamukong Suh.
Matthew Stafford had 4 TDs(three to Calvin “Magatron” Johnson) and had only 1 INT. Suh finished 2 sacks and 1 TD. Calvin Johnson had 9 catches for 101 yards and 3 scores. Slowly the top picks in the previous drafts are showing how good they can be.
The defensive line dominated the trenches with 7 sacks. Suh, Kyle Vanden Bosch, and Cliff Avril had 2 apiece. The offensive line protected their franchise quarterback by allowing just 1 sack and no injuries to Stafford, who missed 5 games after getting injured in the season opener. Free Agent Alphonso Smith was able to get his 4th Interception.
In the Redskins side, the game ended with some drama and controversy when Coach Mike Shanahan pulled QB Donovan McNabb in favor of Rex Grossman with the team trailing 31-25 with less than 2 minutes to go. Grossman fumbled the ball resulting to the Suh touchdown.
caloycomment: What’s in store for both teams in the next week. Well for the Lions, they will face the Jets who laid an egg against the Packers. The Lions will hope that their momentum can carry them to another victory. The Redskins is off to a bye week. The ‘skins still have a pretty decent record at 4-4 especially in their division which mired with some inconsistent play.
The Lions are now 2-5, same as the Minnesota Vikings. There is a big chance that the Vikings can be the bottom team of the NFC North if the Lions continue to win at home.
- Detroit Lions Welcome Back Matthew Stafford, Stun the Washington Redskins (bleacherreport.com)
- Stafford throws four touchdowns as Lions pounce on Redskins (reuters.com)
- Redskins vs. Lions: Matthew Stafford Returns And Throws 4 TD In 37-25 Win (bleacherreport.com)
- Detroit Lions-Washington Redskins: Quick Recap of Lions Victory (bleacherreport.com)
- Stafford Lifts Lions to 37-25 Win Over Redskins (abcnews.go.com)
- Stafford lifts Lions over ‘Skins with four TD tosses (cbssports.com)
- Lions QB Matthew Stafford Throws Touchdowns To Calvin Johnson And Brandon Pettigrew (sbnation.com)