Boxing has always been a source of pride of the Philippines in the past Asian Games. This year the country is fielding by a well-funded team that is manned by the best amateur fighters in the land including a woman. In the 2010 Asian Games, the boxers finished with a 1-1-1 medal tally. Rey Saludar stunned Chan Yong of the host country to bag the gold in the 52kg or below division. Annie Albania, the lone female Filipino bet lost to a taller Cancan Ren of China to settle for a well-deserved silver. The Philippines raised its games medal totals to 3-3-9.
Philippine Chess Team will battle China in the gold medal game in Team Chess.
- Saludar bags gold, Albania, silver in men, women’s boxing (sports.inquirer.net)
- Asian Games: Boxers Keeps Phl Gold Hope Alive (ricojr2010.wordpress.com)
- Philippines’ Gilas loses to South Korea in Asian Games (sports.inquirer.net)
- Champions China edge Qatar to advance to semis (sports.inquirer.net)
- Asian Games: Win or Go Home for the Phil Basketball Team (ricojr2010.wordpress.com)
- Asian Games: Phil 5 Loses to South Korea (ricojr2010.wordpress.com)