The Philippine National Men’s Football Team has won its biggest match in recent history when the team blanked defending Suzuki Cup champions Vietnam 2-0 in their group match. The win propelled the Philippines to the lead in their group with 4 points along with Singapore who they miraculously drew a few days ago. What so stunning with their recent victory is that they did in front of the Vietnamese home crowd.
Chris Greatwich scored once again to give the Azcals a 1-nil lead. A lead that they will never relinquish in spite of the countless close attempts by the hosts to equalize. No matter how egging they get from the crowd, the football gods seem to give the 151st-ranked country an answered prayers after years of futility. The Philippines instead increased the lead when Fil-Brit Phil Younghusband scored from close range to paralyze the whole Vietnamese football nation.
Singapore 2-1 Myanmar
Malaysia 0-0 Thailand
caloycomment: Finally, the years of recruitment have paid off. The win has showed that we can still catch up with our Asian neighbors in terms of football skills. The country should try to prioritize this sport and push this in the grassroots level. It would be great to see Filipinos playing in the Premier League.
- Filipino booters battle Burma in AFF Suzuki Cup Wednesday night (sports.inquirer.net)
- Aquino lauds PH team over AFF Suzuki Cup victory (sports.inquirer.net)
- Hosts Vietnam stunned 2-0 by the Philippines (lookatvietnam.com)
- Surprises, intrigue excite Suzuki Cup fans (lookatvietnam.com)
- Watch Malaysia vs Laos Live stream Football Asia Suzuki Cup Group A online (oleole.com)
- AFF Cup News (lookatvietnam.com)
- Gritty RP team salvages draw to stay on top in Suzuki Cup (sports.inquirer.net)
- UPDATE: Philippines clinches semis spot
- PH booters reach semifinals of AFF Suzuki Cup (sports.inquirer.net)