The Smart-Gilas Philippine Men’s Basketball Team notched its second victory in as many games in the 33rd Jones Cup after surviving some questionable calls to win over Taipei 90-78. Fresh from its victory against defending champions Iran, the Gilas were once again led by naturalized player Marcus Douhit who finished 23 points.
If the Gilas continue its winning ways, they will give the country its 4th Jones Cup title and its first since 1998 when the Centennial Team ruled the tourney. The game would have been a bigger rout if not for an outrageous number of fouls called against Philippines that gave Taipei 33 foul shots in the game.
The Gilas will face powerhouse Jordan tomorrow for its next game.
Smart Gilas Pilipinas 90- Douthit 23, Aguilar 12, Casio 10, Hontiveros 9, Lassiter 9, Lutz 9, Tiu 8, Baracael 8, Barroca 2, Taulava 0, Ababou 0
Chinese Taipei 78- Hsin 17, Wen 14, Chih 13, Cheng 9, Shou 8, I Chieh 7, Chin 6, Tsung 2, Chia 2,Douglas 0, Po 0, Hsueh 0
Quarterscores: 21-17; 49-36; 72-58; 90-78
- Jones Cup: Smart-Gilas stuns Iran (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- SMART-Gilas to use Jones Cup, Qatar tilts to test mettle (saminovic2.wordpress.com)
- Gilas overcome questionable calls (Philstar)
- Ultimate Day today for a Pinoy sports fanatic (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- PHL pounds host Taipei (gmanews)