Here are some of the latest developments in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA):
- Tim Cone official joins B-MEG – Multi-titled coach Tim Cone has decided to continue his basketball coaching career in San Miguel-owned B-Meg team. After spending 22 years and winning 13 titles with the Alaska francise, coach Tim is bringing the formidable triangle offense to a team bannered by veterans James Yap, Roger Yap, Joe DeVance, and Kerby Raymundo. His assistants in his new team will be Johnny Abarrientos, Jeffrey Cariaso, Koy Banal, and Richard del Rosario. Abarrientos is set to train Smart Gilas and fellow FEU alum Mark Barroca. Cone’s move to B-Meg has been a subject of speculation for weeks and many PBA watchers were expecting him to end up in B-Meg.
- PBA Board increases salary cap– The team salary cap is increased to 42 million this season. The new maximum salary for players will be 420,000 pesos a month, a 20% increase from the current maximum rate of 350,000. It has been 10 years since the PBA last changed the salary pay scale of the PBA teams. The team salary cap used to be 36 million only. The bonuses for basketball players for won games were also adjusted from the maximum P4,000 to P6,000 in eliminations and quarterfinals, from P6,000 to P8,000 in the semis, and from P8,000 to P10,000 on won games in the Finals. Bonuses on team rankings were also increased.
- Barroca traded to B-Meg – A 3-way trade involving marquee rookie Marc Barroca was initated recently. B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados got Mark Barroca (from Shopinas), Red Bull got Don Allado, and Shopinas got Elmer Espiritu and Brian Ilad.
- 2011 PBA Caloy’s Mock Draft (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Tim Cone Leaves Alaska (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- B-Meg welcomes Cone (philstar)
- PBA board OKs salary increase (mb.com.ph)
- B-Meg snares Barroca (pba.ph)