A day after the Detroit Tigers became the first team to clinch a division pennant, the MLB-leading Philadelphia Phillies followed suit after beating the St. Louis Cardinals, 9-2. It is the Phillies 5th straight NL East title. Their main division rival, the Atlanta Braves are still leading the National League Wild Card Race.
The Phillies still have 12 games and they can break their season record for wins if they win 4 more. A crowd of 45,470 saw the home team captured the pennant, their fastest ever. It was the 211th sellout at Citizens Bank Park, including playoffs.
- MLB pennant races and playoff picture as of September 15, 2011 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- MLB 2011: Detroit Tigers is first to clinch division pennant (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Rivera ties save record, Phils win NL East (reuters.com)
- Phillies beat Cardinals, clinch fifth straight NL East title (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Philadelphia Phillies: Regular Season Success Means Little in October (bleacherreport.com)
- Phillies first to bag playoff spot | Baseball Notebook (seattletimes.nwsource.com)