The first 2 games of the League Division Series have been played and 3 lower ranked teams managed to steal home field advantage by beating the top ranked teams at home. Only the Milwaukee Brewers managed to go to Game 3 with a 2-0 lead.
Game 1: 9-3 for New York
Game 2: 5-3 for Detroit
Game 1: 9-0 for Tampa Bay
Game 2: 8-6 for Texas
Game 3 preview: Last year’s Cy Young award runner-up David Price will pitch against Colby Lewis, who never lost a game against the Rays. The game will be at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida.
St. Louis Cardinals 1 – 1 Philadelphia Phillies
Game 1: 11-6 for Philadelphia
Game 2: 5-4 for St. Louis
Game 3 preview: The first game at St. Louis will pit a match-up between Phillies’ Cole Hamels (14-9, 194Ks) against the Cardinals’ Jaime Garcia (13-7, 3.56 ERA).
Arizona Diamondbacks 0 – 2 Milwaukee Brewers
Game 1: 4-1 for Milwaukee
Game 2: 9-4 for Milwaukee
Game 3 preview: The Brewers will go for the sweep with Shaun Marcum (13-7, 1.16 WHIP) on the mound. Arizona will counter with Josh Collmenter (10-10, 1.07 WHIP).
The match-ups are pretty even and there is a big possibility that the top seeds in both leagues will not make it to the League Championship Series. Baseball has one of the most unpredictable and exciting playoff formats. Next year, 1 additional team per league is added in a new playoff format where Team 5 will be battle Team 4 in a Game 163 with the winner getting the wildcard spot.
- MLB 2011: It’s down the wire for the final playoff spots (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Broadcast times set for rest of Division Series (mlb.mlb.com)
- MLB: Tigers tie series (skysports.com)
- MLB Playoffs 2011: Diamondbacks Must Be Smarter to Beat Brewers (bleacherreport.com)
- 2.8+ Million Watch Game 1 Of Rays-Rangers MLB Playoff Series, Up 28% From Last Year (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- Fascinating facts from Saturday’s games (mlb.mlb.com)