The 2 undefeated NFC North teams retained their spotless records in contrasting fashion.
Detroit 34 Dallas 30
The Detroit Lions were down 3-20 at the half and 3-27 in the 3rd Quarter before waking up and rallying to win 34-30 at the Cowboys Stadium. The Lions came back from a 20 point deficit last week to beat the Vikings and they top that today as they rallied from behind by 24 points. The Lions picked off 3 Tony Romo passes and returned 2 for a TD to start the amazing comeback. Afterwards, it was the Stafford to Johnson show. Matthew Stafford, a Dallas native, made a memorable homecoming by issuing 2 TD passes to Calvin “Megatron” Johnson. Jason Hanson also contributed a 51 yard field goal in the comeback. The 2 TDs made Calvin Johnson the first receiver to start the season with 4 consecutive 2-touchdown games.
Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said earlier this week that Dallas have 2 better receivers than Johnson in their line-up. In the first quarter, Dez Bryant was backing up what Ryan was boasting about but when the game was on the line, Calvin Johnson made Ryan pay for making a silly remark. The win made the Lions 4-0. They have an 8-gmae winning streak for the first time since 1954. The game also marked the largest lead blown by a Dallas team in history.
Denver 23 Green Bay 49
QB Aaron Rodgers accounted for 6 touchdowns (4 passing 2 rushing) to lead the undefeated Green Bay Packers to a rout of the Denver Broncos. Rodgers finished with 408 passing yards. The game was never close as the defending Super Bowl champs scored 14 points each in the first 3 quarters. The Packers are now 4-0 and they ties Detroit for the best record in the NFL and the NFC North.
It would be fun to see the 2 remain undefeated before their Thanksgiving match-up.
- NFL 2011, Week 3: Two Surprising undefeated teams exorcise some past demons (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- NFL 2011: 3 undefeated teams left after Week 3 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Watch Calvin Johnson Make An Incredible Catch During The Lions Comeback Win Over Dallas [Video] (deadspin.com)
- Calvin Johnson leads Lions’ wild comeback in Dallas (profootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Rob Ryan: Cowboys’ duo better than Calvin Johnson – SportingNews.com (aol.sportingnews.com)
- NFL Predictions Week 4: How Will Undefeated Teams Fare in Week 4? (bleacherreport.com)