Week 4 ended and only one winless team was able to remove itself from the cellar. One team by default because the two winless teams were playing. It was the Kansas City Chiefs that managed to get their first win of the 2011 Season as they beat the now 0-4 Minnesota Viking. How did the Week 3 winless team fair? Here are the short recaps of the games of the winless:
After leading the game relying on Ryan Succop‘s kicking, Matt Cassel finally connected with Dwayne Bowe early in the fourth quarter for their first touchdown of the game to play from the Minnesota Vikings. The Chiefs finally earned their first win of the season. Cassel finished with 260 yds. passing and a 102.7 rating for the game. Viking’s RB Adrian Peterson was limited to 80 yards rushing.
Washington (3-1) 17 – 10 St. Louis (0-4)
The Rams allowed the Redskins to score the first 17 points of the game. They had some chances in the 4th Quarter but their rally fell short by a touchdown. Ryan Torain accounted for 135 yards and a score for Washington. The Rams’ anemic offense was led by Sam Bradford’s 164 yards passing.
Miami (0-4) 16-26 San Diego (3-1)
The Miami Dolphins remain winless as they were not able to contain QB Philip Rivers (307 yards, 1TD). They used to QBs in the game and both Chad Henne and Matt Moore give up one interception each.
Indianapolis (0-4) 17-24 Tampa Bay (3-1)
The Indianapolis Colts played their best game of the Manning-less season but it was not enough to beat the streaking Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Curtis Painter started for the Colts. He completed just 13 of 31 passes but 2 of his completions were for touchdowns. His performance allowed the Colts to enter the 4th quarter tied with the Bucs. Tampa scored the game winner with 3:05 left in the game with a 35 yard run by LeGarrette Blount.
What’s in store for the 0-4 teams in Week 5?
- Indianapolis Colts – The Colts will host the now 1-3 Kansas City Chiefs. With the way the Chiefs are playing, the Colts has a good chance to get their first win of the season at home.
- Miami Dolphins – The Dolphins are now 2 at least 2 games behind from the teams in the AFC East. They will have a Week 5 bye. The bye comes at a good time when the team needs to heal and figure out how to compete this season.
- St. Louis Rams – The Rams will likewise have a bye in Week 5. They will return in Week 6 to face the defending champs Green Bay Packers. The Rams surely need those two weeks to prepare for the Aaron Rodgers show at Lambeau field.
- Minnesota Vikings – The Vikings will play the 1-3 Arizona Cardinals at home with high hopes of ending their season-opening losing streak. The Vikings are now 4 games behind Green Bay and the Detroit Lions.
- NFL 2011: 5 Winless Teams after Week 3 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- NFL Picks Week 4: Predicting How Colts and the NFL’s 5 Winless Teams Will Fare (bleacherreport.com)
- NFL Week 4 Debrief: Preseason Favorites Become Regular Season Duds (sbnation.com)
- NFL Week 4 open thread (hotair.com)
- NFL Picks Week 4: Minnesota Vikings and 3 Teams Facing a Must-Win Game (bleacherreport.com)
- Steelers QB hurt in loss to Texans (nypost.com)