The 2011 American League Championship series will be between the the AL West pennant winner Texas Rangers and AL Central winner Detroit Tigers after the Tigers eliminated the New York Yankees, the team with the best record in the American League.
Game 5 of the Tigers-Yankees series was played in Yankee stadium. Detroit took the early 2-0 lead after Don Kelly and Delmon Young hit back-to-back home runs against Game 1 winner Ivan Nova. Nova only pitched 2 innings because of some tightness in his right forearm.
The Tigers made it 3-0 when Victor Martinez hit a single and scored ex-Tiger Austin Jackson in the top of the fifth inning. Robinson Cano answered with a home run off Detroit starter Doug Fister at the bottom of the inning to tighten the score to 3-1. Fister was replaced by fellow starter Max Scherzer after the 5th inning.
In the 7th inning, the Yankees within when Mark Texiera walked the basses loaded scoring Derek Jeter. The Tigers 8th -9th inning combo then got to work as Jaquin Benoit and Jose Valverde ended all hopes a dramatic late game comeback.
The win by Detroit means that the American League’s best division has no representative in ALCS. The AL East is composed of the Yankees, wild-card winner Tampa Bay Rays, Boston Red Sox, Toronto Blue Jays, and Baltimore Orioles. The Texas Rangers will try to go to the World Series after losing last year to the San Francisco Giants. The last time the Tigers went to the playoffs was in 2006, they eliminated the NY Yankees in the ALDS en route to a World Series loss to the St. Louis Cardinals.
caloycomment: The highest paid team is out in the first round…continue
- VIDEO: ALDS Leyland says they are ready for the Yankees in Game 5 (lockersmash.com)
- A Tigers-Yankees Game 5 preview and a prediction (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Your Yankees/Tigers ALDS Game 5 Open Thread [MLB Playoffs] (deadspin.com)
- ALDS Preview: Tigers vs. Yankees (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- ALDS Game 5 lineups: Tigers vs. Yankees (hardballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- ALDS: Tigers Beat Yankees, 5-3 (foxnews.com)