Ireland 10 – 22 Wales
Wales are again in the semifinals of the Rugby World Cup after beating Ireland 22-10 in Wellington. It has been 24 years since the last Welsh team reach the semifinals in the World Cup.
Revenge is complete as France battered England for a 19-12 win to move to the semifinals. For 2 straight World Cups, England sent France packing but the 2011 World Cup is different, as the French side made sure that England will be out of the semifinals. England will have to wait for 4 years for another chance of a World Cup. England incidentally hosts the next edition of the rugby world cup. As for France, they will be facing Wales and have a good chance of going to the finals just like in 1987 and 1995.
South Africa 9 – 11 Australia
The Wallabies has somehow redeemed their poor pool play performance as they manage to squeeze past South Africa, the defending champions, in the quarterfinals of the 2011 Rugby World Cup. It is the 5th time for Australia to reach the semifinals. The win also gives a very juicy story line for coach Robbie Deans who is set to face the All-Blacks at Eden Park for a spot in the finals.
New Zealand 33 – 10 Argentina
Hosts New Zealand won over a gritty Argentian team to reach the semifinals this year. The All-Blacks missed the semifinal boat in 2007 while the Pumas won the bronze in the last edition. The All-Blacks continued their streak of not allowing an opponent to score more than 17 points in this year’s world cup. Piri Weepu scored seven penalties to keep Argentina at bay. The win set-up New Zealand with a dream match-up with neighboring Australia. Australia has beaten New Zealand in the semifinals in 1991 and 2003. This weekend’s semifinals would be a good time to return the favor.
- Rugby World Cup 2011: Quarterfinal matches and schedules (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- World Cup Roundup: 2011 Rugby World Cup: France Ousts England in Quarterfinals (nytimes.com)
- France, Wales reach Rugby World Cup semifinals (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- New Zealand, Australia round off Rugby World Cup semifinal lineup (theglobeandmail.com)
- VIDEO: Michael Jones on the All Blacks, Rugby World Cup 2011 (3news.co.nz)
- You: Defending Rugby Champion Exits World Cup (nytimes.com)
- The Age of Open Rugby Has Arrived (online.wsj.com)