Comerica Park, Detroit – After being battered by the defending champions Texas Rangers in the first 2 games of the American League Championship Series (ALCS), the Detroit Tigers took advantage of playing at home to win 5-2 in Game 3 of the 2011 ALCS. The win halved their deficit to Texas to just one game, 1-2.
Midseason acquisition Doug Fister gave up just 2 runs in another postseason win. He also pitched Game 5 in the NYY-DET ALDS series. Ex-Seattle Mariners pitcher allowed 7 hits, struck out 3, and allowed no walks. His opposing pitcher Colby Lewis was hammered with 3 home runs by the Tiger’s sluggers.
Texas actually struck first in the game, as they started game 3 with 3 singles for a 1-0 lead. Victor Martinez equalized for Detroit with a homer to the right in the 4th inning. He appeared injured while making the home run swing. He will be reevaluated as the Tigers are playing minus outfielders Delmon Young, Magglio Ordonez and Brennan Boesch.
The Tigers scored again in the next inning as AL Batting Champ Miguel Cabrera hit a double off a 0-2 Lewis pitch to score Austin Jackson. Jhonny Peralta opened the bottom of the sixth with a homer to the left for a 3-1 lead. Austin Jackson scores Andy Dirks later in the inning for a 4-1 lead. Texas replaced Lewis with Koji Uehara who gave up a 393 ft home run to Cabrera in the 7th inning.
Yorvit Torrealba scored when Ian Kinsler grounded out to second in the 8th inning for the final score of the game. The relief duo of Joaquin Benoit and Jose Valverde finished the game for Detroit. Valverde was credited with a save for his 52nd in the year (49 regular season saves + 3 post-season saves).
Game 4 will pit Matt Harrison (Texas) against Rick Porcello (Detroit).
- 2011 MLB Playoffs: Can the Detroit Tigers Get Back into the ALCS? (bleacherreport.com)
- Detroit Tigers Lineup – ALCS Game 3 (ballhyped.com)
- MLB 2011 ALDS: AL East wiped out as Tigers stuns the Yankees in Game 5 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- ALCS Game 3 Preview- Tigers Seek Win on Their Home Field (bleacherreport.com)
- Tigers Beat Rangers 5-2 in Game 3 of ALCS (abcnews.go.com)
- Tigers’ Young scratched from lineup in ALCS Game 3 (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)