16 years after the last time they made it to the finals, France has once again reached the final game of the 2011 Rugby World Cup. They have beaten unlucky Wales, 9-8. Wales were dominating France early in the game until referee Allain Rolland decided to raise the red card after Welsh captain Sam Warburton made an aggressive tackle on France wing Vincent Clerc.
Wales fought hard but the man advantage was just what France needed. Wales made France miss and their tackling was sure until they lost their captain. Still, France just led by 3 at the half, 6-3.
In the second half, France preferred to play safe instead taking advantage of the lack of manpower of their opponent. With a 9-3 deficit, the Welsh side tried so had to penetrate the Blue wall. Their efforts were somehow rewarded when halfback Mike Philips made a courageous try to close the gap at 9-8.
There were many more chances for Wales but they ran out of time. Many fans felt that the Welsh side was more deserving but in the end, it is France that will be in the finals for the third time.
- VIDEO: Sam Warburton sent off after 17 mins for Wales Vs France, 2011 Rugby World Cup Semifinal (3news.co.nz)
- Rugby World Cup 2011: Quarterfinal Results (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- France edges Wales out of Rugby World Cup (independent.co.uk)
- VIDEO: Warburton red card sends France to Final of Rugby World cup 2011 (3news.co.nz)
- Rugby World Cup 2011: Quarterfinal matches and schedules (caloysports.wordpress.com)