The 2011-2012 National Hockey League (NHL) Season is underway. The NHL will try to fill some of the vacuum left by the NBA lockout. Here are the teams that are currently undefeated in the new season:
- Philadelphia Flyers (3-0-0, 6pts) – Claude Giroux is leading a team that is currenly 5th in goals per game (3.3). Russian GK Ilya Bryzgalov is only conceding 1.67 goals per game. They will host the L.A. Kings (1-1-1, 3pts)) in their next game.
- Toronto Maple Leafs (2-0-0, 4 pts) – The Leafs won their 2 games in contrasting fashion. The first one is via a shutout by Winnipeg-native James Reimer. The second one was shootout with the Senators. Phil Kessel scored a hat trick in that game. They will host the Calgary Flames (1-2-0, 2 pts) in their next match.
- Washington Capitals (3-0-0, 6pts)– The Caps rely on balanced scoring in starting the season with a 3 game winning streak. 16 players earned a point already led Niklas Backstrom’s 4 pts (4 assists) and Jason Chimera (3 goals). Washington is averaging 4 goals a game. They won a big match at Pittsburgh last Thurday and they will face Ottawa (1-3-0) at home for their next game.
- Detroit Red Wings (3-0-0, 6pts) – The Red Wings are the only undefeated western conference team left. The perennial Stanley Cup contender is giving up just 1 goal a game (best in the league). The combination of Ty Conklin and Jimmy Howard at the goal has resulted to 2 straight shutout wins so far. Up next for them is a visit to Minnesota (2-1-1, 5 pts).
Only four undefeated teams are left. Let’s see how long can these teams keep it up.
- NHL Hockey Picks for October 13th 2011: Wild vs. Oilers Odds (touthouse.com)
- NHL Schedule 2011, Weekend Games To Watch: Red-Hot Flyers Return To Action, Rangers Take On Islanders (sbnation.com)
- NHL Predictions 2012: Can Phil Kessel Be the Star the Toronto Maple Leafs Need? (bleacherreport.com)
- Detroit Red Wings blank Vancouver Canucks (windsorstar.com)