The 2 NFC North leading teams meet contrasting in Week 6 of the 2011 NFL Season. Defending champions, Green Bay Packers as expected won against a winless St. Louis Rams (0-5) while the surging Detroit Lion‘s winning streak was halted at 9 when they lost to the similarly surprising San Francisco 49ers (5-1).
St. Louis Rams (0-5) 3 -24 Green Bay Packers (6-0)
The Packers just needed 30 minutes to defeat the winless St. Louis Rams who came off a bye week. The Packers 24 points all in the fist half to defeat the Rams whose only score came from a field goal at the end of the first half. With the win, the Packers became the 7th defending Super Bowl champs to start at 6-0 in the season following a Super Bowl victory. QB Aaron Rodgers set a career high pass TD when he connected with Jordy Nelson for 93 yards.
San Francisco 49ers (5-1) 24 – 19 Detroit Lions (5-1)
The Lions are perfect no more! RB Frank Gore run roughshod over the dreaded Detroit front 7. He rushed for 141 yards with 1 touchdown in 15 carries. He averaged 9.4 yards per game. The game was a see-saw battle and the Niners took the lead for good with 1:51 left when Alex Smith completed a pass to Delanie Walker on 4th down. Nate Burleson had his first TD of the season while Calvin Johnson had no TD reception for the first time this season.
What’s next for the unblemished Packers?
The Green Bay PAckers will visit Adrian Peterson and the slumping Minnesota Vikings (1-5). It will test their 3rd ranked run defense against the seemingly one-dimensional Vikings offense. A victory could bring them to 7-0 and remain the lone undefeated team entering Week 9 as they will have a Week 8 bye. A loss by the Vikings will mean that they will not contend for NFC North title as early as Week 7.
- Week 6 NFL Odds: Green Bay Packers Expected To Dominate the St. Louis Rams (football.rawsignal.com)
- Green Bay Packers vs. St. Louis Rams: A Cautionary Tale (bleacherreport.com)
- Updated NFL Playoff Predictions (bleacherreport.com)
- Packers stay perfect at 6-0 (fanaticsportsandcards.com)
- Green Bay Packers Football: Winners and Losers from Pack’s Win vs. Rams (bleacherreport.com)
- Packers stay perfect at 6-0, beat Rams 24-3 (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- NFL 2011: Lions, Packers still undefeated (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- NFL Power Rankings Week 6: Two Best Teams in NFL Reside in NFC North (bleacherreport.com)