Arlington, Texas – The Texas Rangers rallied past the St. Louis Cardinals, 4-2, to take a 3-2 lead in the best of seven match-up for the 2011 Major League Baseball World Series crown. The Rangers are one win away to a historic title. Should they win in St. Louis, they will earn their first ever championship.
In game 5 with the series tied, the Cardinals struck first by scoring 2 runs at the top of the 2nd inning. Mitch Moreland hit a homer at the bottom of the 3rd to get Texas on board. It was his first hit after going 0 for 6 in this last 2 games in the playoffs. Moreland also join a select company (Bernie Carbo, Bob Gibson, Dave McNally) of No.9 hitters to hit 2 career WS homers.
In the 6th inning, Adrian Beltre hit a solo homer to the left to tie the game at 2 apiece. The game-winning run was scored at the bottom of the 8th inning when Mike Napoli hit a double to score Nelson Cruz and Michael Young. Somehow, there was a mix-up in the bullpen moves of the Cardinals due to the crowd noise which contributed to the outcome. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Mike Napoli joins Moises Aloui and Tony Fernandez as the only players with 9 RBI in their first 5 career World Series games.
The series will shift to St. Louis for Game 6 and Game 7 if needed.
- Cardinals had nine walks but failed to convert in into runs. The 2011 Cards joins the 1910 Cubs, the 1924 Senators, and the 1997 Indians as the 4th team to lose a World Series game while drawing 9 bbs.
- Pujols was intentionally walked thrice.
- Cardinals is .800 when trailing 2-3 in a World Series. The only time they lost was in 1930 to the Philadelphia Athletics.
- St. Louis had 12 men left on base in this game.
- Rangers tie World Series at 2-2 (cnn.com)
- World Series thrills, gains viewers. Are you missing out? (csmonitor.com)
- Rangers’ C.J. Wilson faces biggest game of career (aol.sportingnews.com)
- You: Red-hot Holland helps Rangers tie MLB World Series (france24.com)
- Nap time: Rangers put Cardinals to bed in Game Five (timesunion.com)
- World Series Game 5: Rangers Beat Cardinals Behind Mike Napoli’s Stellar Performance (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Napoli lifts Rangers to within one win of World Series (canada.com)