Joe Louis Arena has witnessed one of the longest winning streaks in U.S. professional sports. The home team Detroit Red Wings (40-17-2) increased their NHL record of 21 straight wins to 22 when they beat the Nashville Predators (33-19-6). The 22nd win was so dramatic as the Wings managed to get Pavel Datsyuk‘s game-winner with only 5 seconds left.
Detroit has now 82 points in the season and they currently lead the NHL points standings. The next best team is the defending Western Conference champions Vancouver Canucks with 78 points with 2 games less. The New York Islanders with 79 points leads the East. Detroit has won 5 straight overall.They are just 15-15-1 in the road. They will next play the San Jose Shark to extend their NHL record home game winning streak.
- You: Detroit Red Wings Set NHL Record For Longest Home Winning Streak But Should It Have An Asterisk (sportsviews.com)
- Red Wings Vs. Predators: Nashville Visits Detroit Looking To Snap Record Winning Streak (detroit.sbnation.com)
- Red Wings win NHL-record 21 straight at home (sports.espn.go.com)
- Mark Spizzirri: GAMEDAY: Predators vs. Red Wings; join me on NHL Home Ice at 1:45 EST (hockeybuzz.com)
- Red Wings stand alone with 21 consecutive home wins (prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com)