Miami, Florida – Asian Tour Order of Merit Champion Juvic Pagunsan represented Asia well in the opening round of the WGC- Cadillac Championship. Pagunsan shot a 3-under 69 after putting 4 birdies against a lone bogey. He trails joint leaders Jason Dufner of the USA and Adam Scott of Australia by 3 shots. Tiger Woods shot an ever par 72 at the TPC Blue Monster at Doral. Woods is a 6-time winner of the championship.
The WGC-Cadillac Championship is one of the 4 yearly world golf championships. The first was the Accenture Match Play Championship held last month. The field of the Cadillac Championship is just around 70 players because only the Top 50 players in the world and the top order of merit players from around the most prestigious tours around the world are invited.
No Asian has ever won at the WGC-Cadillac which counts Woods, Ernie Els, and Phil Mickelson as among the past winners. Should Pagunsan pull a victory here then it will be a great achievement for the Philippines and Asia.
Leaderboard after 18 holes
1. Adam Scott/Jason Dufner -6 66
3. Charl Swartzel/Thomas Bjorn -4 68
5. Juvic Pagunsan/Steve Stricker/Alvaro Quiros/Miguel Jimenez/Kyle Stanley/Keegan Bradley/Aaron Baddeley -3 69
caloycomment: I am pleasantly surprised that a Filipino scored better than Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy in big golf tournament…MORE
- Golf: Filipino Juvic Pagunsan tops Asian Tour Order of Merit (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Fantasy Golf Rankings for World Golf Championship (rantsports.com)
- WGC- Cadillac Championship Preview & Groups To Watch (wamgolf.com)
- PGA Tour Fantasy Golf: WGC-Cadillac Championship and Puerto Rico Open Previews (bleacherreport.com)
- Filipino Pagunsan wins 2011 Asian Tour Order of Merit
- Cadillac Championship Round 2: Bubba Watson sizzles with a 62