Columbus, Ohio– The North Carolina State Wolfpack (24-12) ended the hopes of No.3 seeded Georgetown Hoya’s dream of going to the Final 4 this year with a 66-63 upset win. The 11th seeded Wolfpack controlled the 2nd period and survived the late game rally of Georgetown (24-9).
Lorenzo Brown made 3 free throws in the last 10 seconds of the game to clinch the win for NC State. Jason Clark missed a potential game-tying three at the buzzer for the Hoyas. Scott Wood, C.J. Williams, and C.J. Leslie scored 14 points a piece to lead the 11th seeded Wolfpack in scoring. Hollis Thompson exploded for 23 points for the losing 5.
It is the third straight year that Georgetown was sent packing by a double digit seed. In the previous 2 years, Georgetown went home after their first game. NC State is back in the Sweet 16 and they are hoping to reach to get their 3rd NCAA title. The Wolfpack won in 1974 and 1983.
- Wolfpack Erase Early Deficit, Hang On To Top Hoyas (preprod.cbslocal.com)
- Wolfpack knocks off Hoyas (ESPN)
- Box score via ESPN
- NC State vs. Georgetown Betting Odds, Pick & Point Spread: March 18th 2012 (touthouse.com)
- NCAA March Madness 2012: VCU upsets Wichita St.
- Teams with Fil-foreign players eliminated in 2012 March Madness