The quarterfinals ended on Easter Sunday with Barako Bull and B-Meg Llamados carving out victories in their do or die battles with Alaka Aces and Meralco Bolts respectively. Barako Bull will face top seed Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters in a best of five series for a spot in the finals. The other match-up will be between sister teams B-Meg Llamados and Barangay Ginebra Kings.
Game Recap: Barako Bull 106-85 Alaska Aces
Undersized Gabe Freeeman showed that he is capable of leading any team to a PBA championship by giving the Barako Bull a 34 point-19 rebound boost to propel the lower seeded Barako Bull to an upset victory over Alaska Aces. Freeman outplayed Alaska import Adam Parada who finished his Commissioner’s Cup campaign with 18 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists. The Barako Bull made their move in the second quarter to pull away from a tight first period. By halftime, they led 55-42 and they never look back en route to another semifinal stint in the Commissioner’s Cup. Veteran guards Ronald Tubid and Willie Miller each contributed 20 points to give Freeman the scoring support that he needed.
Game Recap: B-Meg Llamados 86-76 Meralco Bolts
In the main game, the B-Meg Llamados and Tim Cone resurrected their hopes for a PBA title by rallying against the youthful Meralco Bolts. B-Meg needed a 25-9 wind-up to earn the right to face the Barangay Ginebra Kings in the semifinals. Denzel Bowles had a very productive game finishing with 28 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 blocks. He got scoring support from Joe DeVance and Peter Jun Simon who scored 15 and 16 markers respectively. It was a sorry loss for Meralco who had monster games from Solomon Mercado (27 pts 5 rebs) and import Earl Barron (23 pts 11 rebs 4 blks). The victory is Tim Cone’s first series victory over former B-Meg coach Ryan Gregorio.
The semifinals will start tomorrow with Barako Bull battling the Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters at the Ynares Center in Antipolo City. Tip off will be at 6:45 pm.
- PBA: 3 cliffhangers so far this weekend (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- PBA: Barako Bull dominates Alaska, sets up semis battle with Talk ‘N Text (sports.inquirer.net)
- PBA Sunday (2-19-2012): Streaks Broken! (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Llamados, Aces bounce back, forge KO matches (sports.inquirer.net)
- PBA play makes it to ESPN Sportscenter (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Bowles rallies B-Meg past Meralco for semis spot (sports.inquirer.net)
- Ravelismo PBA: Ravelismo Awardees and Predictions with Gary David. (ravelismo.wordpress.com)