Astana, Kazakhstan – With 4 slots each allocated for Asia in the Light Welterweight and Middleweight divisions, the quarterfinal bouts became olympic eliminators for the boxers in these weight classes. Here are the results in the quarterfinal matches of both divisions:
RAHMONOV Uktamjon RSC
YELEUSSINOV Daniyar 17
KIM Chol Song 6
SHIM Hyun Young 16
TOLOUTIBANDPI Mehdi 22
HUDAYBERDIYEV Serdar 12
SAKENOV Ermek 9
YANG Yu-Ting 11
NAZAROV Sobirdzhon 16
ATOEV Abbos RSC
TUMURKHUYAG Chuluuntumur 17
WAHEED Waheed 8
PAZZIYEV Nursaat 15
The blog will would like to congratulate, the following boxers for bagging an Olympic slot for their respective countries:
- Uktamjon Rahmonov of Uzbekistan – Rahmonov is silver medallist in the 2010 Asian Games in Welterweight and a bronze medallist in the 1st AIBA Youth World Championships (2008).
- Daniyar Yeleussinov of Kazahkstan – The host nation’s representative in the Olympics is an Asian Games Gold Medallist (-64 kg division) and a silver medal winner in the 1st AIBA Youth World Championships.
- Mehdi Toloutibandpi of Iran – Toloutibandpi reached the Round of 16 in the 2011 World Boxing Championships. He defeated Filipino Rolando Tacuyan in his first round bout of the said tournament. He got eliminated by Mongolian Uranchimeg Munkh-Erdene.
- Serdar Hudayberdiyev of Turkmenistan – Hudayberdiyev will finally be in the Olympics. He got a bronze medal in the 2nd Asian Olympic Qualification event in 2008 but failed to qualify for Athens.
- Sobirdzhon Nazarov of Tajikistan – Another nation from Central Asia has gained a spot in the Olympic boxing competition for the 2012 London Games as Tajikistan’s Nazarov defeated Taipei’s Yang.
- Abbos Atoev of Uzbekistan – Atoev will have a chance to redeem his early exit in Athens 2008. The 2010 Asian Games Silver medallist and 2009 World boxing championship gold medal winner is out to prove that he still have it despite a disappointing result in the 2011 AIBA World Championships.
- Vijender Singh of India – Vijender is also back in the Olympics. He got a bronze medal for India in Athens after losing to Emilio Correa Bayeux of Cuba in the semifinals.
- Nursaat Pazziyev of Turkmenistan – The 2011 Asian Confederation Boxing Championships Bronze medallist will be representing Turkmenistan in London 2012.
The 8 new qualifiers are composed mostly of boxers from Central Asia and former Russian States. The former Soviet states have slowly dominated the heavier weight categories in the Asian region. These boxers are expected to represent their countries and Asia well in the Olympics a few months from now.
- AIBA Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament: Suarez, Ladon win but 2 PHL pugs are eliminated (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- AIBA Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament Day 3: Ladon loses (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Boxer Vijender qualifies for London Olympics (indiavision.com)
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers (indiavision.com)
- World Series Boxing: Suarez scores in Mumbai’s upset of Baku (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Sports News: Boxing: Joe Cordina keeps Olympic dream alive (walesonline.co.uk)