After losing their first semifinal game to Barangay Ginebra, the Meralco Bolts needed to win all their remaining games in order to force a playoff for the second finals berth. It was a tall order for a team that has lost 6 of its 10 games in the 2012 Philippine Basketball Association Governor’s Cup. The semifinals cellar dweller was not up to the task as they were beaten by the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters who are currently at the top of the standings.
It was a tough loss for the Bolt as they were leading up to the 3rd quarter at 71-68. They were, however, outscored in the final canto 15-31 en route to their second loss in the semifinals and virtually eliminating from the race for spots in the finals. The loss wasted the marvelous games of Mario West and Mac Cardona who combined for 52 points and 18 rebounds. Jamelle Cornley paced the winners 21 points, 14 boards, and 4 dishes. Paul Lee, Ronjay Buenafe, and big man Beau Belga had 8 three-pointers among them. Rain or Shine raises their record to 9-2 and they evened their semis record to 1-1.
RAIN OR SHINE 99 – Cornley 21, Lee 16, Buenafe 10, Belga 8, Chan 8, Ibanes 8, Norwood 7, Arana 7, Quinahan 6, Cruz 5, Rodriguez 3.
MERALCO 86 – West 33, Cardona 19, Ross 15, Reyes 11, Hugnatan 4, Bulawan 2, Mercado 2, Macapagal0, Taulava 0.
Quarter scoring: 26-13, 45-44, 68-71, 99-86
- Rain or Shine Elasto Painters bounce back from loss, beat Meralco Bolts in PBA semis (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- 2012 PBA Governor’s Cup Semifinals: Ginebra and Petron win first matches (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- PBA Out of Town Game June 2, 2012: Ginebra routs Meralco in Lapu-Lapu (cebulive.wordpress.com)
- Rain or Shine boots out Meralco, moves closer to Finals berth (sports.inquirer.net)
- Meralco reach last four of S’pore Cup (todayonline.com)
- Don Allado shouts foul! (ayandeatoinrandom.wordpress.com)