Inspired. Probably that is the best way to describe the Barangay Ginebra Kings in the semifinals of the 2012 PBA Governor’s Cup. A few days after doing a miraculous comeback in the night that the legendary Robert Jaworski retires, Ginebra defeated the current league leader Rain or Shine Elasto Painters via a 95-86 score.
The Gin Kings started the game as they trailed the Painters by 10 after the first quarter. They however owned the last 3 to win their 3rd game in the semis for an 8-4 overall record. One more win means that they have at least a playoff for a finals berth. The win also eliminated sister team and defending champions Petron Blaze Boosters from the race for a finals spot. Ginebra’s last two opponents in the semis will be B-Meg Llamados and Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters. Rain or Shine fell to 9-3 overall and 1-2 in the semis. The Painters need to win one more to assure itself of at least a playoffs for spot in the finals.
In its latest victory, Mark “The Spark” Caguioa exploded for 29 points buoyed by 5 long range bombs. He scored 20 points in the middle periods to help Ginebra turn a 10 point deficit to a 5 point lead going to the final period. Import Cedric Bozeman was assigned by coach Siot Tanquincen to hound Paul Lee scored 19 same as the output of the RoS rookie. Jamelle Cornley was limited to 13 points behind the efforts of Ginebra big men Kerby Raymundo and Rudy Hatfield. If Ginebra continues it marvelous form then they will be the favored to win the season’s last conference’s crown.
Ginebra (95) – Caguioa 29, Bozeman 19, Raymundo 15, Helterbrand 11, Hatfield 8, W. Wilson 5, Villanueva 4, Maliksi 2, Cortez 2, Wilson 0, Ababou 0, Maierhofer 0.
Rain or Shine (86) – Lee 19, Chan 14, Cornley 13, Norwood 11, Ibanes 9, Cruz 6, Quinahan 5, Arana 4, Belga 3, Buenafe 2.
Quarters: 18-28, 45-45, 70-65, 95-86
- 2012 PBA Governor’s Cup Semifinals: “Never-say-die” Ginebra pulls off signature comeback in Jaworski’s retirement night (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- 2012 PBA Governor’s Cup Semifinals: Texters rout Bolts (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- 2012 PBA Governor’s Cup Semifinals: Petron collapses again, B-Meg gains (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Ginebra nips Petron for a crucial semis win in a fitting ending (sports.inquirer.net)
- 2012 PBA Governor’s Cup Semifinal Cast Complete: Powerade’s season ends on a sour note (caloysports.wordpress.com)