London Olympics: 2012 Philippine Olympic Team
The Philippines are sending 11 athletes in 8 disciplines in the coming London Olympics. Here are the Filipinos that will be competing in the 2012 Olympics:
- Mark Javier (Archery) – The pride of Siliman University will be going to his second olympics. In 2008, he finished in the ranking round before getting eliminated by Kou Cheng Wei of Chinese-Taipei in the first round of the knockout stages. Javier also placed 9th in the individual category of the 2006 Asian Games.
- Rachel Cabral (Archery) – The University of Makati graduate will be competing in her first Olympics. She bagged her Olympic spot in the FITA Final World Olympic Qualification Tournament held last month.
- Rene Herrera (Athletics) – Herrera will be competing in his pet event the 3000 m Steeplechase. He is a 5-time SEA Games Gold medallist in the said event. His 8:49.39 personal best is a long-standing Philippine record. The world record for the event is 7:53.63 held by Saif Saaeed Shaheen of Qatar.
- Marestella Torres (Athletics) – Torres is competing in the long jump event. She won the 2009 Asian Championships for the event. She holds the Southeast Asian games record of 6.71m established in the 2011 SEA Games. Galina Chistyakova of the former Soviet Union holds record for the event with a leap of 7.52m.
- Mark Anthony Barriga (Boxing) – Barriga is the lone Filipino boxer competing in this year’s Olympics. The Light-Flywight from Davao will be one of the few Pinoy participants who has a fair shot of bagging an Olympic medal. He reached the Round of 16 in last year’s World Boing Championships and he was eliminated by China’s Zou Shiming who eventually won the gold.
- Daniel Caluag (Cycling) – Filipino-American Calauag will be competing in the Men’s BMX event. He used to be one of top BMX athletes in the USA before deciding to don the Philippine colors.
- Tomohiko Hoshina (Judo) – The 24 year old Filipino-Japanese will be the country’s representative in Judo’s plus-100 Kilogram class. He was a silver medallist in the 2007 Thailand SEA Games.
- Brian Rosario (Shooting) – Rosario will be shooting for a medal in the skeet shooting event. He was chosen over Hagen Topacio, Sydney Olympian Jethro Dionisio, Beijing Olympian Erik Ang and 17-times SEA Games pistol shooter Nathaniel “Tac” Padilla by the Philippine National Shooting Association to be the country’s wild card entry for the 2012 Olympics.
- Jessie Khing Lacuna (Swimming) – 18 year old Lacuna will be competing in the 200m freestyle. He was a silver medallist of the said event in the 2011 SEA Games. Luckily for him, Olympic record holder Michael Phelps will not compete in the said event.
- Jasmine Alkhaldi (Swimming) – The pretty 19- year old swimmer will be competing in the 100m freestyle. She currently holds the Philippine record for the event.
- Hidilyn Diaz (Weightlifting) – The female lifter from Zamboanga City will be representing the Philippines in her second Olympics. She was a wild card entry in Beijing 2008 as a 17 year old.