Royal Lytham St. Anne – St. Annes, England – Filipino Juvic Pagunsan opened his first ever majors campaign with a 1-over 71 at the Open Championship. The Open Championship which is also called the British Open is the oldest among golf’s four major championship and it is the only one played outside the United States.
Pagunsan, who clinched a slot in the Championships after topping the Asian Tour Order of Merit in 2011, had 2 birdies against 3 bogeys in the opening round. He made birdies in the 4th and 6th holes while he had bogeys in the 5th, 9th , and 18th. As of posting, he is ranked tied for 56th and should he keep his rankings after the second round he will be able to make it to weekend play. Among the other players who opened with 71 are Davis Love III, Tom Watson, Miguel Jimenez, and Aaron Baddeley. Tiger Woods finished with a 67. Adam Scott has the clubhouse lead at 64.
- Asian Tour: Pagunsan 2nd; Tabuena 10th in Queen’s Cup (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Pagunsan opens with a 6 under par 66 in Japan PGA Championship Nissin Cupnoodles Cup 2012 (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- British Open Championship First-Round Leaderboard – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- The Open 2012: pairings and tee-off times for the 141st Open Championship (telegraph.co.uk)
- Pagunsan, Minoza to vie in ICTSI golf (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- British Open: Six stats you might not know about the last 10 tournaments (statsontapp.com)