A 13-point lead by Japan at the end of the 3rd quarter was not enough to prevent the Smart Gilas from bagging its fourth consecutive win in the 34th William Jones Cup in Taiwan. The Philippine Team outscored their Japanese counterparts 30-13 in the final period to overturn a 58-71 deficit and win 88-84 to remain undefeated in the tournament.
Marcus Douthit conspired with LA Tenorio and Gabe Norwood to open with an 8-2 rally in the fourth period to cut the lead to seven at 66-73. Triples by Gary David and Jeff Chan sandwiched a pair of free throws by Tenorio moved the Gilas within one at 78-79. Japan was able to score on the next possession then the Philippines responded with one free throw by Douthit and a triple by Norwood to finally take the lead at 82-81. After a miss by Japan, Douthit scored off a nice dish by Chan to extend the lead to 84-81. After a turnover, Japan was forced to foul Douthit who obliged by hitting two pressure-packed free throws for an 86-81 lead. Takatoshi Furukawa hit a triple with 20.6 seconds left to make it a one possession ball game to 86-84. Chan was cool as ice hitting 2 free throws for the final margin as Japan failed to convert in their last possession.
Naturalized center Douthit led the Gilas with 26 points, 13 rebounds and 2 blocks. LA Tenorio and Gabe Norwood contributed 13 and 11 points respectively. The Philippines drew even with Iran at 4-0 and on top of the standings.
- 2012 William Jones Cup: Gary David introduces himself to Koreans and the rest of Asia (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Gary David pushes PH past South Korea (sports.inquirer.net)
- Chris Tiu and the PBA (derdo.wordpress.com)
- Yesterday at Prive Luxury Club BGC Taguig (ctrebprofessionals.wordpress.com)
- 2012 PBA Draft recap: 4 Cebuanos picked (cebuislandlive.com)
- Douthit scores 21 as PH routs Singapore in SEABA Opener (sports.inquirer.net)