Istanbul. Turkey – Chess Grandmaster Eugene Torre steered the 35th seed Philippines to a 2-2 draw against 4th seed Hungary. Torre (ELO Rating: 2469), who is playing in his record 21st Olympiad showed his veteran savvy as he beat Hungarian Board 3 player GM Ferenc Berkes (2685). The victory was Torre’s first in 3 games of this Olympiad while the loss was Berkes’ first in 6 matches.
It was a great performance for the surprising Philippine team. GM Wesley So drew with Super GM Peter Leko at Board 1. GM Mark Paragua halved a point with GM Csaba Balogh. Philippine Board 2 player GM Oliver Barbosa was the lone casualty as he fell to Super GM Zoltan Almasi.
With the draw, the Philippines retained a Top 10 ranking after 7 rounds with 11 points (5 wins- 1 draw – 1 loss). The team faces England in Round 8.
In Women’s Play, the 57th seed Philippine Women’s Team beat 52nd ranked Portugal, 3-1 to barge into the top 20. Victories by WFM Rulp Ylem Jose and Jedara Docena propelled the women’s team to its 5th victory. The team will face the 5th-seeded USA in the next round.
Men’s Top 20:
Women’s Top 20:
caloycomment: When will be the Azkals reach this kind of performance? … MORE
- GM Eugene Torre All Set for his 21st Olympiad (chessaccount.wordpress.com)
- PH men’s squad eyes Top 20 finish in chess Olympiad (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Armenia to face Azerbaijan in World Chess Olympiad round 7 (panarmenian.net)
- Philippine National Team to Depart for 2012 Chess Olympiad (chessaccount.wordpress.com)
- Fiji taps local doctor to play chess in olympiad (stltoday.com)
- PH blanks Kazakhstan in 3rd rd of chess Olympiad (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Armenia loses to China in World Chess Olympiad round 7 (panarmenian.net)