Filipino-American Jason Brickman and the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds are going to the big dance once again as they beat Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers in the finals of the Northeast Conference, 91-70. Brickman, the main playmaker in the team, contributed 7 points, 8 assists, and 2 steals in the victory for LIU (20-13, 12-6 NEC). He is currently averaging 8.5 assists per game which tops the whole NCAA Division I.
Stephen Holt meanwhile, led the scoring for the Saint Mary’s Gaels (27-6, 14-2 WCC) who lost in the West Coast Conference finals against No.1 ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs(31-2, 16-0 WCC), 51-65. Holt finished with 19 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals as he was the only Gaels player who finished in double figures. He is currently averaging 11.8 ppg and 5.4 rpg. Three of the Gaels losses this season was against division rival Bulldogs. The Gaels have a good chance to have an at large bid to the prestigious NCAA Tournament.
Last year, the LIU Blackbirds and St. Mary’s Gaels were eliminated in the first round of the Big Dance.
- No. 1 Zags paste Saint Mary’s to win WCC title (scores.espn.go.com)
- Saint Mary’s vs. Gonzaga: Twitter Reaction, Postgame Recap and Analysis (bleacherreport.com)
- LIU Brooklyn romps to win 3rd straight NEC title (scores.espn.go.com)
- NCAA Tournament Cheat Sheet: Getting to know LIU Brooklyn (collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- An Ode to Brooklyn’s High-Flying Blackbirds (lostlettermen.com)
- Fil-Ams in the 2012 NCAA Tournament
- 3 Teams with Fil-Ams eliminated in the 2012 March Madness