Filipino basketball fans cannot ask for a better ending of the 2011-12 Philippine Basketball Association‘s second conference. The game 7 of the Commissioner’s Cup finals needed five minutes more to finish. It seems that one of the best conferences ever in the history of the PBA did not want to end. In the overtime period, the Best Import awardee Denzel Bowles took over and handed Tim Cone his first title outside of Alaska Aces.
The B-Meg Llamados won 90-84 over the vaunted Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters. It was a heart breaker for the MVP franchise as they led most of the game and was leading by two with Bowles at the line with 1.2 seconds left. Bowles made the biggest free throws of his basketball career to bring the game to overtime. He continued his superb play in the extra period by scoring 11 of the 14 points of B-Meg. He capped his first season for B-Meg with 39 points, 21 caroms, and 3 blocks. Jimmy Alapag led TNTs valiant stand with 29 points, his best scoring performance in the series. The loss spoiled TNT’s attempt to win its 4th title in 5 conferences. James Yap was chosen as the finals MVP.
B-MEG 90 – Bowles 39, Simon 14, Yap 12, Urbiztondo 11, Villanueva 5, De Ocampo 4, Devance 2, Pingris 2, Barroca 1, Intal 0, Reavis 0
Talk ‘N Text 84 – Alapag 29, Harvey 16, Fonacier 11, Peek 10, Dillinger 8, Castro 5, De Ocampo 3, Reyes 2, Gamalinda 0, Williams 0, Carey 0
Quarters: 21-18, 34-35, 56-61, 76-76, 90-84
caloycomment: This game and series will be remembered for the call made with 1.2 seconds left… MORE
- 2012 PBA Commissioner’s Cup Finals Game 6: Balanced scoring beats 2-man show (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- 2012 PBA Commissioner’s Cup Finals Game 5: Yap explodes to tow B-Meg to a 3-2 lead (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- 2012 PBA Commissioner’s Cup: Championship down to 6 teams (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Talk ‘N Text, B-Meg dispute Commissioner’s Cup title today (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- B-meg Eyes Title (newsinfo.inquirer.net)