Playing without star keeper Neil Etheridge, the Azkals scored enough goals to survive and win against the Al Fursan despite conceding 3 goals. Etheridge was suspended in the 3rd place match after getting a red card in the Philippine‘s heartbreaking semifinal loss to Turkmenistan. In for the Fullham goalkeeper is Philippine Army‘s Eduard Sacapaño. Sacapaño made enough saves to help Philippines win the high scoring match.
Phil Younghusband had a brace to up his total to six goals in tournament. He was awarded the golden booth after the tournament. The goal scores for the Philippines were the Guirado brothers. Angel Guirado scored his second goal in the tournament for a 3-1 lead at the half. Brother Juan Luis scored his first ever as an Azkal in the second half. Juan Luis’ goal turned to be the game winner.
The third place finish in the AFC Challenge Cup is big achievement for the Philippines where football lags in popularity to basketball and boxing. The good finish in this recent tournament will surely improve the country’s standings in the FIFA World Rankings where it is ranked 155th.
- Azkals book a semis seat at the Asian Football Confederation Challenge Cup (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Azkals placed 3rd in the 2012 AFC Challenge Cup (rojan88.wordpress.com)
- Azkals Scandal: PFF demands apology from Arnold Clavio (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Azkal Scandal?? Cristy Ramos accuses 2 Azkals of sexual harassment (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- Philippines enter semi-finals‚ create history (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Turkmenistan‚ Palestine qualify for semis (thehimalayantimes.com)