Justin Verlander just led the Detroit Tigers to a shutout win against the Cleveland Indians. The win made the Tigers lead the American League Central Divion for the first time this season. For Verlander it was his 5th straight win. He has won 7 out of 8 starts since his second career no-hitter in Toronto last May 7. Here are some amazing stats from his starts this month:
Record: 3-0 (8-3 Overall)
Innings pitched: 27 (he now leads the AL pitchers in IP)
Runs Allowed: 3
Strikeouts: 29 (He leads the AL with 105 k’s this season)
He has been torching players with near 100 mph fastballs late in the game and combined with a curveball 20 miles slower form the same arm slot, even the best hitters have a little chance when he is on. His control is superb and the recent games. He has shown baseball fans and fantasy team owners that he is one true ace.
He is on way another All-Star selection and Cy Young consideration. Hopefully the Tigers will help him in the months to come to achieve his first Cy Young award. I am sure that he will be a major factor in Detroit’s pennant and playoff bid. The outlook is good so far and I would be rooting to see him pitch again in October.
- Verlander takes no-no bid into 8th (msn.foxsports.com)
- Verlander asserts self as Central’s Alpha (msn.foxsports.com)
- Verlander takes no-hit bid into eighth, Tigers blank Indians (tsn.ca)
- Verlander flirts with no-no; Tigers roar into first (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Verlander Almost Gets His Second No-Hitter Of The Season (businessinsider.com)
- Verlander’s two-hitter lifts Tigers into first (msnbc.msn.com)