The Barangay Ginebra Kings has been a crowd darling for over 20 years. From the time of Jaworski to the time of Caguioa, the team always enjoy some sort of home-court advantage in the Philippine Basketball Association. The 37th PBA Season will be probably one of the most challenging for the team. As stars began to age and other teams staking up with talent, the Gin Kings‘ brain trust will really have to work hard to maintain the Ginebra magic.
Here are some updates regarding the team:
1. Ginebra traded Willie Miller for Nino Caneleta.
2. Ginebra drafted Reil Cervantes and James Martinez in the recent PBA Draft.
3. Rudy Hatfield is retiring.
4. JJ Helterbrand is thinking of retiring. He only signed a one conference deal to test if he still has it takes to compete against the younger and fast guards in the PBA. Add to the fact his daughter is growing up in the US.
5. Ginebra management renews the contracts of 8 players.
Changes are bound to come to the league’s most popular team. The management has to decide if they rebuild and retool now or they give it a go this season with the same core. The problem with Ginebra in the past is injuries. Older guys are typically prone injury compared to the young ball players. The season has not started and who knows, the Barangay Ginebra Kings will discover new gems this season like last year when Robert Labagala, and John Wilson emerged as the new breed of Ginebra role players.