The new Major League Baseball (MLB) season has started and a few teams started red hot to remain undefeated after the first weekend of action. Here are the undefeated teams after Easter Sunday action:
- Baltimore Orioles (3-0) – The Orioles started the new season at Camden yards by sweeping the Minnesota Twins. In the 3-game sweep, Baltimore only gave up 5 runs while the offense scored 15 runs. Nick Markakis is batting .556 and has 2 home runs already.
- Tampa Bay Rays (3-0) – The Rays tied the Orioles for the early AL East lead as they swept perennial division champs New York Yankees at home. The team is hitting at .333 and have an on-base percentage of .443. The Rays will visit Detroit for their next series. Carlos Pena has 7 RBIs in their 3 game romp.
- Detroit Tigers (3-0) – The Tigers opened the Prince Fielder era with a sweep of Boston Red Sox. In 3 games, the Tigers scored 26 runs. Lead off hitter Austin Jackson is batting .571 while Miguel Cabrera has 3 homers and 8 RBIs so far. The early series with the similarly undefeated Rays is a series to watch.
- New York Mets (3-0) – The Mets took an early lead in the NL East standings as they beat the Atlanta Braves in 3 straight games. It is the first time in 5 years that NY Mets opened the season with a sweep. In the opening series, they only gave up 7 runs while scoring 15. The bullpen just gave up 1 run in 10 innings so far this season.
- Arizona Diamondbacks (3-0) – The DBacks scored 3 1-run wins over the 2010 Champs San Francisco Giants. They rallied from being 6 runs down to complete the sweep. They won the first 2 games via a 5-4 score.
It is still early in the season but these 5 teams are making a statement that they want to contend this season. Most likely, at least 3 teams from this bunch will figure in their respective divisions races.
- Hammel’s no-no bid carries Orioles to sweep (sports.espn.go.com)
- Twins Vs. Orioles Preview: Minnesota Looking To Avoid Three-Game Sweep (minnesota.sbnation.com)
- Tigers Vs. Red Sox Final: Avila, Cabrera Pound Clutch Home Runs To Stun Boston Late (detroit.sbnation.com)
- MLB Notebook: Welcome back, Pena (mlb.mlb.com)
- Scott Garceau: Hope Springs Eternal (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- MLB Opening Day: Tiger’s Valverde finally blows a save but got the win (caloysports.wordpress.com)
- 2012 MLB Season: WIll Be One For The Books (hawksclaw.wordpress.com)
- MLB 12 The Show celebrates opening match Cardinals vs Marlins (vg247.com)